Dr. Manit Gundavda’s interest as a Surgeon-Scientist stems from his passion to combine research with clinical skills to advance patient care. This began during his training at P. D. Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre where he gained the skill set and interest in the super-specialty of Musculoskeletal (Bone and Soft Tissue) Oncology. He has a robust clinical experience in Orthopaedic Oncology with more than 6 years of cumulative training along with his fellowships at The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital and NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham – UK and Mount Sinai Hospital and University (of Toronto) Health Network, Toronto – Canada.
His clinical experience has had a direct impact on his research and resulted in practice-changing outcomes in the field. His various publications, and conference presentations – some of which have won awards, reflect the extent of his clinical and research commitment.
Dr. Manit Gundavda strives to provide outstanding patient care along with clinical and academic advancement in Orthopaedic Oncology.
RESEARCH & CLINICAL TRIALS
- Consultant / Clinical Mentor – Biomedical Engineering and Technology Incubation Centre (BETiC), IIT Powai, Mumbai, India
- Clinical Trial and Research Coordinator – NonFerrous Materials Technology Development Centre (NFTDC), Hyderabad, India
- Professional Diploma in Clinical Research (PDCR) at Catalyst Clinical Services, Delhi, India
- Lazarides AL, Burke ZDC, Gundavda MK, Novak R, Ghert M, Wilson DA, Rose PS, Wong P, Griffin AM, Ferguson PC, Wunder JS, Houdek MT, Tsoi KM. How Do the Outcomes of Radiation-Associated Pelvic and Sacral Bone Sarcomas Compare to Primary Osteosarcomas following Surgical Resection? Cancers. 2022; 14(9):2179. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers14092179
- Gundavda MK, Agarwal MG, Singh N, Gupta R, Reddy R, Bary A. Can 18F-FDG PET/CT alone or combined with radiology be used to reliably grade cartilage bone neoplasms for surgical decision making?Nucl Med Commun. 2021 Oct 20. doi: 10.1097/MNM.0000000000001498. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34678831.
- Gundavda MK, Agarwal MG. Extended Curettage for Giant Cell Tumors of Bone: A Surgeon's View. JBJS EssentSurg Tech. 2021 Aug 9;11(3):e20.00040. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.ST.20.00040. PMID: 34650828; PMCID: PMC8505343.
- Gundavda MK, Gundavda KK. Cancer or COVID-19? A Review of Recommendations for COVID-19 Vaccination in Cancer Patients.Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2021 Sep 13;22(10):95. doi: 10.1007/s11864-021-00903-7. PMID: 34515857; PMCID: PMC8436191.
- Gundavda MK, Agarwal MG, Reddy R, Bary A. Reconstructive Challenges of Distal Tibia Bone Tumors: Extracorporeally Irradiated Autograft Combined with a NonvascularizedAutograft Fibula for Superior Reconstruction and Functional Outcomes When Compared to Ipsilateral Pedicled Fibula Transfer Alone. Sarcoma. 2021 Mar 23;2021:6624550. doi: 10.1155/2021/6624550. PMID: 33814963; PMCID: PMC8012118.
- Gundavda MK, Agarwal MG, Reddy R, Katariya A, Bhadiyadra R. Does a Modified Technique to Achieve Arthrodesis of the Wrist After Resection of the Distal Radius and Translocating the Ipsilateral Ulna as a Vascularized Graft to Reconstruct the Defect Improve Grip Strength and Outcomes Scores?ClinOrthopRelat Res. 2021 Jun 1;479(6):1285-1293. doi: 10.1097/CORR.0000000000001604. PMID: 33399403; PMCID: PMC8133237.
- Gundavda MK, Parikh P. Why use of face masks by everyone outside their homes is still mandatory during the COVID-19 pandemic! Indian J Med Sci, doi: 10.25259/IJMS_311_2020
- Gundavda, Manit K., Bary Ashik, Agarwal Manish G. Do irradiated osteo-articular recycled tumorautografts still hold promise for biological joint reconstruction? Our experience with acetabular and proximal ulna ECRT. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics & Trauma. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2020.12.011
- Gundavda, M.K., Gundavda, K.K. Cancer or COVID-19?A Review of Guidelines for Safe Cancer Care in the Wake of the Pandemic. SN Compr. Clin. Med. 2, 2691–2701 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s42399-020-00632-2
- Gundavda, M.K., Katariya, A., Reddy, R., Agarwal M.G. Fighting Megaprosthetic Infections: What are the Chances of Winning? JOIO (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s43465-020-00080-z
- Manit K. Gundavda, Manish G. Agarwal, Rajeev Reddy: Reconstructive Challenges of Proximal Ulnar Bone Tumors: Our Experience with Biological Osteoarticular Reconstruction Using Extracorporeal Irradiation and Reimplantation. Sarcoma 04/2019; 2019(22):1-6., DOI:10.1155/2019/7812018
- Manit K. Gundavda, Manish G. Agarwal: Growing Without Pain: The Noninvasive Expandable Prosthesis is Boon for Children with Bone Cancer, as well as Their Surgeons!. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics 02/2019; 53(1):174., DOI:10.4103/ortho.IJOrtho_53_17
- Manit K. Gundavda, Manish G. Agarwal, Rajeev Reddy, YashWagh, VinayakGhanate: Is Vitamin D deficiency behind the scenes for high incidence of Giant Cell Tumor amongst the Indian population? Unraveling the Vitamin D – RANKL association. Medical Hypotheses 12/2018; 123., DOI:10.1016/j.mehy.2018.12.010
- Manish G Agarwal, Manit K Gundavda, Rajat Gupta, Rajeev Reddy: Does Extracorporeal Irradiation and Reimplantation After Acetabular Resections Result in Adequate Hip Function? A Preliminary Report. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 02/2018; 476(9):1738-1748., DOI:10.1007/s11999.0000000000000103
- Manish G Agarwal, Manit K Gundavda, Rajat Gupta, Rajeev Reddy: Does Denosumab Change the Giant Cell Tumor Treatment Strategy? Lessons Learned From Early Experience. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 02/2018; 476(9):1773-1782., DOI:10.1007/s11999.0000000000000243
- Manit K. Gundavda, Hitendra G. Patil, Vikas M. Agashe, Rajeev Soman, Camilla Rodriques, Ramesh B. Deshpande: Nontuberculous mycobacterial infection of the musculoskeletal system in immunocompetent hosts. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics 03/2017; 51(2):205., DOI:10.4103/0019-5413.201718
- Manit K. Gundavda, Prakash Nayak, Manish G. Agarwal: Novel modification of second generation intramedullary PMMA cementing technique for narrow upper and lower extremity canals. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma 09/2015; 7(1)., DOI:10.1016/j.jcot.2015.08.006
- Manit K. Gundavda, Rajveer K. Chinoy: A case of an unusual Monteggia equivalent type II with lateral condyle fracture. Journal of Orthopaedics 07/2015; 12(4)., DOI:10.1016/j.jor.2015.05.013
- Manit K Gundavda, Ajay H Bhandarwar: Comparative study of laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences 05/2012; 66(5 & 6):99-115., DOI:10.4103/0019-5359.114195
- Parikh P, Gundavda MK, Panda PK, Gulia A. Lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic for virtual academic activities. Indian J Med Sci 2020;72(3):125-6.
- Yash W, Rajeev R, Manit Gundavda, Manish A. Gossypiboma: what happens when a mop is left in a thigh for ten years. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 2020 August;10(5): 12-15.
- Agashe, V.M., Rodrigues, C., Soman, R., Manit Gundavda et al. Diagnosis and Management of Osteoarticular Tuberculosis: A Drastic Change in Mind Set Needed—It is Not Enough to Simply Diagnose TB. JOIO 54, 60–70 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s43465-020-00202-7
- Wagh Y, Reddy R, Gundavda M, Agarwal M, Agashe VM, Bajwa S. Tuberculosis (T.B.) masquerading as tumor. An 8-year study on 25 cases of long bone tuberculosis presenting as tumors. SICOT J. 2020;6 14. doi:10.1051/sicotj/2020011. PMID: 32463012.
- Matthew L Goodwin, Manit K Gundavda, Rajeev Reddy, KedarDeogaonkar, Murad Lala, AmreshBaliarsing, Daniel M Sciubba, Kevin B Jones, Manish Agarwal: Extracorporeal radiation and reimplantation: a safe and viable option for reconstruction after sacral tumor resection?. 03/2019; 7(10)., DOI:10.21037/atm.2019.01.79
- A. Menon, V. Agashe, M. Gundavda, H. Patil, R. Soman, C. Rodrigues, R. Deshpande: ALL TB ARE MYCOBACTERIA, BUT ARE ALL MYCOBACTERIA TB? ANALYSIS OF ATYPICAL MYCOBACTERIAL INFECTIONS IN IMMUNOCOMPETENT SUBJECTS. The Bone & Joint Journal 12/2015; 97-B(SUPP-16):27.
- Hitendra G. Patil, ManitGundavda, Vivek Shetty, Rajeev Soman, Camilla Rodriques, Vikas M. Agashe: Musculoskeletal melioidosis: An under-diagnosed entity in developing countries. Journal of Orthopaedics 09/2015; 13(1)., DOI:10.1016/j.jor.2015.08.001
- Vikas M Agashe, HitendraPatil, Manit K Gundavda: Multiple Skin Abscesses and Myofibrosis of Bilateral Lower Limbs Following Repeated Intramuscular Injection of Pentazocine with Concomitant Tuberculous Infection. 07/2015; 5(1):9-11., DOI:10.13107/jocr.2250-0685.245
- Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA)
- Bombay Orthopaedic Society (BOS)
- Indian Musculoskeletal Oncology Society (IMSOS)
- Asia Pacific Musculoskeletal Tumor Society (APMSTS)
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA)
- Immuno-Oncology Society of India (I-OSI)
- Indian Cooperative Oncology Network (ICON)